The FREITAG Museum Proposal:
An All-Green Sustainable Museum for A Fashion Corporate
瑞士 FREITAFG 品牌绿色博物馆企划案
Museum design | Fashion company museum | Sustainable management
Milan, Italy (2019)
Supervisor: Prof. Guido Guerzoni
Research team: Jiahui Liao, Haoze Tan, Yilun Lou
External contributor: Zhenkai Yan
The proposal of a fashion company museum in a former industrial area derives from the convergence of following objectives:
- Promoting the brand presence and ultimately, realising the museum’s own economic and environmental sustainability, while activating innovation on museum management;
- Raising public awareness, education and engagement towards sustainability issues;
- Supporting relevant research activities, both in scientific and social aspects;
- Triggering positive local influence, including the reactivation of the industrial neighbourhood.
The proposed museum is designed with regards to the mission:
To raise public awareness, appreciation and understanding of sustainable lifestyles, especially human-wear objects, meanwhile examining the eco-friendly products' relationship with the environment, arts and everyday culture.
With the concept of sustainability runs throughout, the study is divided into :
- Museum design plan: definition of the museum concept, mission and objectives, target audience, architectural design, operational and exhibition plan, partners, expected impact (economic, social & cultural, environmental);
- Museum management plan: organisational framework and asset, collection management, financing and budget, communication plan, activity timeline, KPIs.
The proposal is accompanied by an extensive benchmarking study of 15 museums worldwide, including fashion-themed museums and museums built by fashion brands with focus on either fashion or art.